Pork chops are a universal cut of meat with a plethora of tasty recipes available for its preparation. Honey Apricot Pork Chops are one variation that is full of protein, gluten-free and absolutely delicious. It is also a feast for the eyes with its well-seared meat and glistening glaze. Impress everyone at your dinner table with this healthy entrée.
What It Is
This delicious dish is nothing more than simple pork chops with a honey apricot glaze. A quick dish that can be made in less than 20 minutes, with some practice, Honey Apricot Pork Chopsoffer a sweet-tangy twist to a classic protein.
Pork chops in any form have long been a favorite comfort food in many cultures. Each often adds its own unique twist on how to prepare the meat. While it is unknown where or when this particular variation came to be, it is quickly becoming a favorite.
Honey and apricots both offer a wealth of health benefits that make this dish nutritious as well as delicious. For honey, these benefits include:
- Rich in antioxidants linked to reducing the risk of strokes, heart attacks and some kinds of cancer
- A potent prebiotic, it nourishes the good bacteria in the intestines to promote better digestion and overall health.
- A natural antibacterial, honey can help fight infection within the body.
As far as apricots are concerned, they provide several health benefits. Many come from the fact that while they are low in calories and fat, they are rich in many essential vitamins and minerals including fiber, potassium and protein as well as vitamins A, C and E. Like honey, apricots are high in antioxidants.
Recipe & Preparation
This recipe for Honey Apricot Pork Chops from Smithfield is considered an intermediate skill level dish and serves two. Remember to allow the meat to come to room temperature before cooking so that it has the most flavor.
- 4 pork chops
- ¼ teaspoon of crushed red pepper flakes
- ¾ teaspoon of salt
- ½ teaspoon of minced rosemary
- ¼ teaspoon of black pepper
- 1 tablespoon of light olive oil
- 2 tablespoons of white wine vinegar
- ¼ cup of apricot preserves
- 2 tablespoons of honey
- 2 tablespoons of chopped dried apricots
- Evenly coat both sides of the pork chops with the rosemary, salt and pepper.
- Heat the olive oil in a large skillet over medium-high heat and add pork chops.
- Cook for three to four minutes on each side until evenly browned
- Reduce the heat to medium and continue to cook until internal temperature reaches 145 degrees Fahrenheit.
- Remove the chops from the pan and keep warm separately.
- Drain excess liquid from skillet while retaining the brown bits in the pan.
- Add vinegar and cook over medium-high heat, scraping the browned bits from the pan for two to three minutes until slightly reduced.
- Stir in the red pepper flakes, dried apricots, apricot preserves and honey.
- Continue cooking until the mixture is heated through.
- Pour honey-apricot glaze over warm pork chops and serve.
There are several different recipes out there that each take their own unique route to deliciousness. These include an All Recipes version as well as an Epicurious recipe that includes a video. Substituting a different protein for the pork or a different cut of meat can change this dish up as well. For example, there are recipes for lamb chops as well as ribs.
These delicious pork chops pair well with a number of different sides and provide a healthy tasty meal that is perfect for family dinners, holiday gatherings and special occasions. Honey Apricot Pork Chops provide a unique flavor palette that everyone is sure to love.